An Eventful DucKon 23


Author Brian Pinkerton
I had a great time last weekend at Duckon. Meeting authors Brian Pinkerton, John Everson (Bram Stoker Award Winner), W.D. Gagliani (Bram Stoker Award Finalist), David Benton and others was wonderful. The book signing was great, writing panels were awesome, and I even helped out around the Registration Booth. It couldn't have gone better if it had been... well, planned.  Also, I got the chance to meet David Gerrold, the script writer of Stark Trek's "Trouble with Tribbles" and more than 50 books.  

Author Gene Wolfe
Gene Wolfe was also there, yet another celebrated, award-winning author. One of the most memorable things I heard this weekend was from him... a life's lesson we should all take to heart. While showing him to his reading panel, I asked how his day was going. His response: "Well, I woke up this morning. At my age, that makes it a great day!" Cheers to waking up each morning! 


Supposed Reincarnation of Tom Baker
Another fantastic celebrity I got to meet, at least in his altered form, was Tom Baker, the fourth Dr. Who. As you can see, he was trekking around the Westin North Shore Hotel, investigating everything, even the Registration Booth. Evidently he'd forgotten to take care of that earlier on. One morning, a 16-foot python got out and began speeding through the halls, we think in search of Mr. Baker's reincarnation, who would have been a tasty meal for a snake that large. Thankfully, they caught the python before any such snackage had taken place.

Masters of Lightning
I also had a great time meeting up with an old friend, Tavis Potter, and making many new ones. I tell you, the weekend was jam packed, especially after watching Masters of Lightning. It was a great light and music show where tesla coils made the music, performing things like the Ghostbusters theme song and so much more. 

Harp Twins
Then something I never would have expected knocked my socks off - the Harp Twins. If you haven't seen them, check them out. It was like watching Valkyrie Angels thrust to earth, and the music had to be reminiscent of what sailors must of heard when passing the Greek Sirens. I never realized a harp duo playing Guns and Roses' "Sweet Child of Mine" and so many more great Rock ballads could have been that good. They've done music for the Game of Thrones show, games like Morrowind, and so much more. 

Check out Duckon 2015 next year. It's certainly worth it.

Weston Kincade ~ Author of the A Life of Death collection, and Strange Circumstances

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,